BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Storm

Hey everyone, I decided to post my descriptive essay from last semester at LFCC just for fun. Lemme know what ya think ;)

I am walking down a dark and dreary street, long forgotten by other passersby. I can feel the emptiness in the air promising me a place of solitude. The only companions I possess are the numerous trees surrounding me on both sides. They are lining the edges of the street, as if they are guards determined to protect this secret passage. All of the sudden a certain atmosphere takes over; the sky is becoming a threatening shade of gray, and the leaves of the many trees are turning upside down with the breeze. An immense thrill rushes through me, as the knowledge of what is about to come sinks in. I am about to witness a storm.

I continue walking, yet I slow my pace. The wind is beginning to pick up, and it sweeps through the street rustling the leaves of the trees, as if it is announcing the arrival of the storm. The clouds of gray are rolling towards me, growing thicker as they approach. They resemble powerful waves of the ocean, and seem equally as dangerous. I look up and see the clouds now completely covering every inch of the sky. A pleasant chill runs along my spine, while I gaze admiringly at the blanket of wild, swirling clouds above.

I stop abruptly in my tracks, with a sudden pang of eagerness, as I hear the first low grumblings of the storm. I see the first few rain drops splash to the ground at my feet. Then like the tears of a young girl sobbing over her lost love, the rain bursts forth from the clouds, pouring down a heavy sheet upon the dark and dreary street. I stand there and spread out my arms, as if I am welcoming the storm’s fury with a warm embrace.

I close my eyes, feeling the intensity of the unceasing rain, and hearing the angry groan of thunder. I open my eyes and they fill with the reflection of a flash of bold light, as it shocks the clouds with its vain presence. The lighting represents itself as the most powerful element of the storm, striking over and over again, as the thunder hastily roars in outraged disagreement. An important battle is taking place, while my insignificant figure, soaked to the bone, watches with increasing exuberance.

The storm is coming to an end now, and it lets out its last few cries. Like a child unwilling to give up his favorite toy, I savor every last detail, as the storm finally fades away. Again I begin walking along the dark and dreary street, which is now puddle-filled. Blankets of leaves have been laid upon the ground. I feel completely cleansed from the inside-out, as I continue walking, and a mysterious, satisfied smile dances onto my lips.

1 comment:

  1. I love your story! I can soooo relate to it! It makes me want to write a poem about storms!

    ReplyDelete